Thursday, June 24, 2010

Quiet Please!

Quiet Please!

“We need quiet time to examine our lives openly and honestly. . . spending quiet time alone gives your mind an opportunity to renew itself and create order.” Susan L. Taylor

The warmer temperatures have me jogging outside again. (During inclement weather, I use the treadmill in my living room to keep me fit.) One perfect spring day, during my morning run, I re-discovered the importance of quiet time. When I am on the treadmill, I am either reading, watching a video, listening to an audio program or watching TV. Sometimes I am doing two of those activities at the same time. After a long cold winter inside, I was reminded of how nice it is to be out in nature, alone with myself and alone with my thoughts. Creative ideas were flowing easily and I was enjoying the quiet. No cell phone, no internet, no email, no books, no TV, just fresh air, sunshine and the sounds of nature.

How noisy has your life become? Is the TV always on? Is music always playing in the car? Is your cell phone ringing constantly or is someone always texting you?

Since that spring morning when I re-discovered the importance of quiet time, I have been turning off the car radio. I have been keeping the TV off unless I am actually watching a program. I have been enjoying 5-10 minutes of quiet time first thing in the morning before I get out of bed. And, at night, I close my book, shut off the light and take 5-10 minutes to enjoy the peace and quiet before I drift off to sleep.

Is it time for you to make some changes in your schedule and include times of quiet and solitude?

Here are some benefits of including quiet time into your day.
Stress diminishes
Pain subsides
Blood pressure lowers
Focus improves
Mood is elevated
Memory becomes sharper
Creativity is sparked
Intuition is enhanced

We can’t hear our great ideas and solutions to problems if we don’t take time to get quiet and listen.

Ways to enjoy some quiet time.
Meditation
Sitting quietly for 5-10 minutes
1-2 minutes of deep breathing with eyes closed
Walks in nature
No music car rides

If you need a “quiet break” at work and can’t get away from your desk, keep a calming and relaxing picture of nature on your desk or as your computer screen background. Focus on the picture for a few minutes while doing some deep breathing.

I have been so much more relaxed and balanced since I have been turning off the noise and eliminating much of my multi-tasking. Try “turning down the noise” in your life by incorporating some simple changes and see if it makes a difference for you.

"My intuition never fails me, it is I who fail when I do not listen to it." --Sufi Mystic Hazrat Inayat Khan

1 comment:

Mel said...

Hi Kathy,

This is so true, I'm always nagging everyone I know (including clients) to get at least 5 minutes of quiet time every day to destress. It's so important and in this modern age it's almost always overlooked.

Blessings to you,

Mel
www.healingthatfeeling.com