Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Get Out Of The Way by Cindy Kozak

I met Cindy years ago at a Toastmasters Conference and have been on her newsletter list ever since. I love her writing and her perspective. If you enjoy this article, please post a comment so I can pass it on to Cindy.

Get Out Of The Way

One of my new pet peeves is slow drivers who insist on driving in the fast lane. Recently, the speed limit on a local freeway was raised to 70 MPH, which was convenient since most drivers are going faster than that anyway. Ironically, it seems that now many drivers have slowed down to 65 – and they’re in the left lane ahead of me!

When driving, my goal is to get to my destination as soon as possible. Driving holds little appeal for me, and I have no desire to spend any more time behind the wheel than necessary. So, when one of these slowpokes decides to travel in the left lane instead of staying right, I just want to scream – “GET OUT OF THE WAY!”

It’s the same when I go to the mall. I’m not a big fan of shopping, unless it’s on-line in the comfort of my home. So, when I get to the mall and people are just standing around blocking my path, I again want to scream – “GET OUT OF THE WAY!”

But, there’s one person who often gets in my way, and I barely notice – and that would be me! Every time I procrastinate, every time I give in to fear, every time I believe the voice in my head that tells me that I’m not good enough, I’m getting in my own way. Every time I say “I can’t” before I even start, I’m getting in my own way.

There are hundreds of small things I say and do (or don’t do) that throw barricades in my path, that defeat me before I even start. And never once have I screamed at myself to “GET OUT OF THE WAY!”

It’s amazing what we won’t put up with from others but will blindly accept from ourselves, isn’t it?

~Weekly Challenge~

Think about something that you’ve wanted to do but just haven’t been able to get started on. Or that one thing that you haven’t gotten around to finishing yet.

Now think about what’s stopping you. More likely than not, you’ll see that it’s you getting in your own way. And if you find that to be true, then feel free to shout at yourself – “GET OUT OF THE WAY!”


Cindy Kozak is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Certified Hypnotherapist. She believes that to change any aspect of your life, you must do the work, beginning with changing what’s going on in your head. Her specialties include weight loss, smoking cessation, phobias, and pain and stress management.

You may reach Cindy at cindy@newdaycoaching.com or 586-99-10-NEW(639)

No comments: