Monday, May 29, 2006

Don't Use the "C" Word

Don't Use the "C" Word
by Kathy Atkinson

Think back and see if you can remember a time when you said:

I can't lose weight.
I can't change jobs.
I can't make more money.
I can't learn that new program for work.
I can't find time to exercise.
I can't find time to organize my office.

Is it really true that you can't do those things? Or, is it true that you just don't want to or don't have a compelling enough reason to figure out how you could accomplish the task?

Can't is a word that will stop you in your tracks. It closes the door. We don't allow children to stop or limit themselves by using the word can't. We encourage them to at least try.

Pay attention to how often you use the phrase, "I can't do that". Make a commitment to stop limiting yourself with that phrase. Go deeper and see why you have decided that you can't do something. Is the activity too far out of your comfort zone? Do you have a fear of failure? Perhaps you don't know where to begin or you are not motivated enough.

Decide that you can do whatever you want to do. Decide that you can choose not to do something because you don't want to not because you can't. Give yourself permission to expand your horizons and at least try the things you find yourself saying you can't do.

Action Challenge

Eliminate the word can't from your vocabulary.

Turn CAN'T into:
Don't know how yet.
I choose not to do that.
I am having difficulty.
I haven't done that yet.
I could do that if I wanted to.
I am ready to.

Quote

"If anything is worth trying at all, it's worth trying at least 10 times." Art Linkletter

"The few who do are the envy of the many who only watch." Jim Rohn

Copyright 2006, Creative Life Coaching

No comments: